Red onion and roast cherry tomato soup
Red onions and plenty of basil give this tomato soup a Mediterranean make-over.
red onion and roast cherry tomato soup
Red onion and cherry tomato soup
- 1.250kg/ 2lb12oz cherry tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 red onions, finely sliced
- 10 basil leaves
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 250ml/9floz vegetable stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp pesto
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 6 slices of ciabatta bread, torn into pieces
- Preheat oven to 220C/375F/ Gas No 5. Put the cherry tomatoes, garlic, two onions and basil onto a tray and drizzle with two tbsp oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the tomatoes are browned.
- Mix the pesto, three tbsp olive oil and bread together in a bowl, ensuring the bread is evenly covered. Spread the croutons onto a baking tray and bake for five minutes in the oven with the tomatoes. Turn the croutons and bake for a further five minutes. Put to one side.
- Put the rest of the olive oil in a pan and gently fry the onions for 10-15 minutes, add the vinegar and sugar. Cook for a further minute.
- Liquidise the roast tomato mixture. Add the fried onion and stock. Reheat the soup and check the seasoning.
- Serve with pesto croutons.
The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by Saga unless specifically stated.
The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal, medical or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.