1. In a muslin cloth, tie the fennel seeds and set aside for later use.
2. In a large pan, heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the artichoke hearts and season with salt.
3. Next, add the diced carrots and celeriac to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes. Ensure that they do not colour.
4. Increase the heat and add the wine and garlic to the pan. Cook until almost dry.
5. To the same pan, add the fennel seeds (tied in the muslin cloth), chicken stock and caster sugar. Lower the heat and simmer until the artichokes are just cooked through and the liquid has reduced. This should take roughly 5 minutes. (the artichokes are cooked through, when you can insert a sharp knife through them with no resistance).
6. Once the artichokes have cooked through, add the white vinegar to the pan. Remove the fennel seeds and divide the artichokes barigoule across the plates and serve.
For more great artichoke recipes visit: www.greatbritishchefs.com