- 6 globe artichoke hearts, halved
- 200ml of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 carrot, cut into a 5mm dice
- ¼ celeriac, cut into a 5mm dice
- 175ml of white wine
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1 pinch of caster sugar
- 1 pinch of fennel seeds
- 250ml of Chicken stock*
- ½ tbsp of white wine vinegar
* or vegetable stock to make this recipe suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
1. In a muslin cloth, tie the fennel seeds and set aside for later use.
2. In a large pan, heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the artichoke hearts and season with salt.
3. Next, add the diced carrots and celeriac to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes. Ensure that they do not colour.
4. Increase the heat and add the wine and garlic to the pan. Cook until almost dry.
5. To the same pan, add the fennel seeds (tied in the muslin cloth), chicken stock and caster sugar. Lower the heat and simmer until the artichokes are just cooked through and the liquid has reduced. This should take roughly 5 minutes. (the artichokes are cooked through, when you can insert a sharp knife through them with no resistance).
6. Once the artichokes have cooked through, add the white vinegar to the pan. Remove the fennel seeds and divide the artichokes barigoule across the plates and serve.
For more great artichoke recipes visit: www.greatbritishchefs.com
Try one of our other vegetarian recipes, including grilled artichokes with curry mayonnaise and artichoke and olive puff pastry tarts.