1. Pre heat the oven to 180˚C/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 23cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
2. Chop the beetroot into quarters and puree in a food processor.
3. Break the chocolate into small pieces and put to one side - some larger pieces will give the cake a great texture.
4. Add the remaining ingredients, including the broken chocolate, to the processor and whizz until well mixed. Pour into the prepared cake tin and lightly level out the surface.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. The surface of the cake may have cracked a little. Allow the cake to cool for a few minutes in the tin before removing to a cooling rack.
6. Dust lightly with icing sugar and serve in wedges. For dessert, this cake is great with a little crème fraîche on the side.
Thanks to www.lovebeetroot.co.uk for permission to use this recipe.