Braised beef with horseradish dumplings
Beef and horseradish, stew and dumplings - this dish is comfort food taken to new levels of contented cosiness.
braised beef with horseradish dumplings
Monica Galetti's braised beef with horseradish dumplings
- 800g organic beef skirt or braising beef
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbs plain organic Flour
- 4 tbs groundnut oil
- 2 large organic carrots, peeled and quartered
- 1 white organic onion, quartered
- 250 ml dry red wine
- 2 organic oranges, peel and the juices
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 15g Demerara sugar
- 400ml beef stock
Ingredients for the horseradish dumplings
- 200 ml organic milk
- 80g organic butter
- 5g grated horseradish
- 90g semolina
- 1 medium organic egg
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C/325°f/gas 3.
- Cut beef into large chunks.
- Season each piece of beef with salt and pepper and colour all over.
- Add a knob of butter and add the carrots, onions and cook until nice and brown.
- Stir in the flour until golden brown, add the orange juice and bring to boil.
- Add the red wine and the peel of 2 oranges, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, peppercorns and sugar and bring to the boil.
- Reduce by 2/3 and add the stock.
- Bring to simmer, cover with a lid and cook in the oven for an hour at 170 degrees Celsius.
- Remove the lid, spoon 4-6 of the dumpling mix on top place lid back on and place back in oven for another hour.
- Remove the lid in the last 10 minutes of cooking.
Method for the horseradish dumplings
- Bring milk, horseradish and butter to the boil.
- Stir in the semolina and cook until thick.
- Beat until cool then add the egg and season with salt and pepper.
- Scoop onto cooking beef 1hr before.
Monica Galetti has created a range of seasonal recipes for the Organic. Naturally Different campaign which demonstrate the benefits of buying organic products for the savvy shopper. For more information, visit: www.facebook.com/organicuk
The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by Saga unless specifically stated.
The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal, medical or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.