Potatoes boulangère is a classic French recipe of sliced potatoes and onions cooked in stock, perfect as a vegetable side dish that can be cooked in the oven when you have a joint roasting.
Potatoes boulangère is a traditional French vegetable side dish
- 800 g (1¾ lb) potatoes
- Salt, black pepper
- 1 onion
- Approx. 300 ml (½ pint) vegetable stock
- 25 g (1 oz) butter
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes and onion.
- Butter a 1 litre (1¾ pint) ovenproof dish and layer the vegetables in it, seasoning as you go.
- Pour over enough stock to just cover vegetables, dot with remaining butter and cover dish with foil.
- Bake at 170ºC/gas mark 3 for 1 hour.
- Remove foil and cook for a further 30 minutes until potatoes are tender and top is browned.
Recipe taken from The Garden To Kitchen Expert by Judith Wills and Dr DG Hessayon, priced £9.99.
The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by Saga unless specifically stated.
The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal, medical or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.