Skip to content
Back Back to Insurance menu Go to Insurance
Back Back to Saga Money Go to Saga Money
Back Back to Saga Magazine menu Go to Magazine
Search Magazine

Living in a mobile home: What happens if we go into care?

Annie Shaw / 10 January 2017

Annie Shaw advises someone who is concerned that if they go into care, their mobile home will be sold, leaving no inheritance for the children.

A mobile home in England


My wife and I live in a park home. It seems that, if one of us were to die or go into care and then the other one were to need care, our home would have to be sold under the terms of the 1983 Mobile Homes Act. 

The price achieved at sale would then be added together with any savings and investments to evaluate whether we breached the care-fees threshold. 

This could leave us with nothing to pass on to our children.

The rules around paying for care


When purchasing any property, including those with unusual tenure such as park homes, sheltered accommodation and timeshares, you need to know how your ownership will end if you wish to sell or discontinue use of the property. 

Park homes vary enormously – from caravans and chalets to lodges in holiday villages and ‘mobile’ homes that stand on permanent sites and are occupied all year.

If your park home is your sole permanent residence on what is known as a ‘protected site’, you may be caught under the rules that force you to sell if, as a sole occupier, you vacate the property to live somewhere else. 

Consult a solicitor about whether there’s any way of protecting your interests.

How to avoid care home fees

Annie Shaw

To read more of Annie Shaw's insightful answers to questions from people like you, delivered straight to your door each month, subscribe to Saga Magazine today!

Get great ideas for saving money, plus information on your consumer rights, pensions, tax and much more in our Money section.


The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by Saga unless specifically stated. The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal, medical or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.