family walking across a field into the distance

Care Funding Advice Service

A helping hand to understand your care funding options. We can assist you to review the options available to help fund care and minimise the impact of long term care fees. 

Call to speak to an adviser

0800 096 8703

Mon – Fri 9am-5pm

The Saga Care Funding Advice Service is provided by HUB Financial Solutions.

How does it work?

A specialist advice service which will take you through your different options for paying for care, to help you reach a decision you are comfortable with. 

Once you realise that you or a loved one needs care, the question of who should pay for it becomes an important issue. Many people don’t realise that care is usually not free of charge. Whether you receive it in your own home or in a care home, one way or another it costs money.

Saga has chosen to work with HUB Financial Solutions Limited, to provide the Saga Care Funding Advice Service. You can rest assured their care recommendations are thoroughly quality assessed.

Key aspects

  • An experienced adviser will take you through your care funding options. You'll get a good idea of the choices available and those which might work in your circumstances.

  • Make sure you’re getting all the help available to you. Your adviser will review your circumstances to ensure you’re receiving all local authority and NHS funding to which you may be entitled.

  • HUB have a team of fully qualified care funding advisers, who will provide personalised advice based on your unique circumstances to ensure that you know all you need to, to make your care funding decisions.

  • Peace of mind that there is no cost or commitment to speak to an adviser.

What are the benefits?

  • There is no obligation to purchase a plan and you will not be charged for any quotations. 

  • Where relevant, research into costs of care funding solutions is free of charge.

  • Specialist advisers with a thorough knowledge of the care funding market and the state benefit system.

  • We understand that care funding is something most people know little about, therefore HUB offer advice irrespective of your financial situation.

Reasons to choose the Saga Care Funding Advice Service

1. The adviser will take the time to understand your situation and needs

HUB conducts in depth research into products and services before deciding whether to offer them to customers. 

2. The assurance of an established, well-known company

For over 25 years, Saga has carefully selected the financial products and services that we offer to our customers. You can take assurance in our long history of customer care.

How it can help

You may want care funding advice and support for yourself or perhaps for a loved one. The Saga Care Funding Advice Service offers the peace of mind that only comes from engaging with experts in this area.

Important information

There is no cost or commitment involved with speaking to an adviser and all relevant research is completed without charge. However, should you decide to proceed with the recommendation then advice fees will apply. Your adviser will outline all costs involved before any fees are payable.

Local Authorities are empowered to assess your financial situation with a means test and may make you pay towards the cost. Residential care homes often cost in excess of £32,344 a year on average. Professional nursing carers are even more expensive, at an average of £44,512 a year*. Affording care can be a major concern, particularly as you don't know how long it will be needed.

*Cost of care data source: Laing and Buisson Care of Elderly People UK Market Survey 2017/18

Additional information

The means test

Means testing involves assessing the value of your assets in order to establish whether you qualify for financial support from your Local Authority. This will take into account your capital, your investments and your property (except under certain circumstances, such as your partner still living in it). It’s worth taking expert advice if your property is to be included in the means test.

Qualifying for financial help

If you’re able to pay for your care initially but your money reduces to the means test limit in the future, the Local Authority should start to assist with your fees. They’ll only pay these up to a certain limit and will expect you to contribute from your income. If your fees are higher and you, or a third party, are unable to make up any difference, you may not be able to stay in the home of your choice.

If the total value of your assets exceeds the means test limit, you’ll usually need to pay the cost of care yourself. If the value of your assets is below the means test limit, you may be entitled to some State help towards the cost of your care.

Frequently asked questions

Do I have to pay for my care if I receive it in my own home?

If your Local Authority arranges for you to receive care from professional carers in your own home then your income and assets will be assessed to decide whether you have to contribute towards the cost. The Local Authority can set its own criteria for means-testing, but they cannot be any more stringent than would apply for residential care.

If you make your own arrangements for care in your home directly with a care provider you will be expected to pay for it yourself. You may be able to claim Attendance Allowance or direct payments from your Local Authority to help towards the cost.

I feel I need care of some sort. Can my Local Authority help me and what is involved?

Your Local Authority has specially trained staff who can help you by assessing the level and type of care you need, and advising on how to go about arranging it. They can do this for you whether or not you would pay for your care yourself.

If you are likely to need financial help towards your care costs, then your Local Authority will need to carry out the assessment first, before going on to consider your financial situation.

The assessment process differs slightly between Local Authorities, but will usually involve a home visit by an assessor. They will go through a list of questions designed to establish what your specific difficulties are, and what might help you overcome them. They will also ask you about how much and what help you think would be useful to you, to get an idea of your preferences.

I own my home – will it be included in the means test?

If you own a property it will usually be included in your assets for the means test. There are, however, are a number of occasions when it should not be included such as:

  • Where your partner still lives in the property
  • Where a relative aged 60 or over still lives in the property

There are some other occasions when a property, or its full value, cannot be included in the means test. It is a good idea to get expert advice if your property is going to be included in the means test.

If I am paying for my own care will I be eligible for any state benefits?

Other than Local Authority support, two common benefits for those who require care and pay for it themselves are Attendance Allowance and the Registered Nursing Care Contribution. Claiming benefits can become quite complex, so it may help to talk matters through with an expert.

The Saga Care Funding Advice Service is provided by HUB Financial Solutions Limited, who will pay us an introductory fee if you decide to take out a plan. Registered office: Vale House, Roebuck Close, Bancroft Road, Reigate, Surrey RH2 7RU. Registered in England and Wales, Number 05125701. 

Saga Personal Finance, a registered trading name of Saga Personal Finance Limited, is responsible solely for the promotion and introduction of eligible customers to the Saga Care Funding Advice Service. Saga Personal Finance Limited is registered in England and Wales (Company No. 3023493). Registered office: Enbrook Park, Sandgate, Folkestone, Kent CT20 3SE.

Saga Personal Finance Limited and HUB Financial Solutions Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Information about other products and services

Saga Equity Release Advice Service 

The Saga Equity Release Advice Service, provided by HUB Financial Solutions Limited
Regular Drawdown Lifetime Mortgage
A unique new product that provides a monthly cash sum to supplement your income. Provided by Just.